Charles River Wheelers: Rider Guidelines
If you're new to the club or group riding, please review the guidelines below to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Membership and Insurance
Non-members are welcome to join us for up to two rides before being required to become a member. Membership supports the CRW Rides Program and other club activities. Click here to join CRW.
We promote safe, courteous, and lawful cycling practices. Members and guests are expected to ride responsibly and encourage the same among fellow riders.
Preparing for the Ride
- Read the ride announcement to ensure you're prepared for the distance, pace, and terrain.
- Contact the ride leader if you have any questions.
- Register for the ride.
- Ensure that you have navigation (GPS route, cue sheet, etc).
- Check that your bike is in working order.
- Helmets are required and should be properly adjusted.
- Carry tools and supplies for fixing a flat tire.
- Bring identification, emergency contact info, health insurance ID, money, and a credit card.
- Stay hydrated by bringing sufficient water and snacks.
At the Ride Start
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time for bike assembly and pre-ride preparations.
- Listen to the ride leader's pre-ride talk for essential information.
- Cooperate with the ride leader to spread out riders in large groups.
Riding in Groups
- Signal turns, lane changes, and hazards.
- Maintain a safe distance from other riders.
- Break into smaller groups when necessary.
- Avoid using portable music players or aero bars.
- Always exercise road civility.
- Participate in paceline riding only if skilled and with permission from other riders.
- Ride predictably, without sudden movements.
- Do not overlap wheels with the rider ahead.
Riding in Traffic
- Announce the presence of vehicles with "car back" or "car up."
- Move to single file when safe to do so.
- Never call out "clear"; each rider is responsible for their own safety.
- Be aware of other vehicles and be considerate.
- Use a rear-view mirror for added safety.
By following these guidelines, you'll help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants. Enjoy the ride!