Buckle your helmet, clip your shoes, turn on your camera, & join us on a tour de force. This is not to rest & relax. Rather, it is to jam pack all the best that Maine has to offer in one weekend: rocky coast, lobster, lighthouses, diners, Bar Harbor, bakeries, Acadia National Park Drive, frigid water dip, & Mt Desert.
It will even coincide with Adventure Cycling Association's Bike Your Park Day. We will celebrate our public lands on Saturday with a ride through Acadia National Park.
We leave Boston Friday morning to arrive Rockland for early lunch. We start the ride at 12:00 before returning for dinner. Lodging will be in the same location for two nights near Rockland. We travel on Saturday for a tour of Park Drive & Mt Desert, dinner in Bar Harbor, & travel back to sleep. Our final day will bring us to Portland for a lighthouse studded tour, early dinner in downtown Portland, & drive back to Boston.
Distances are 50-80km daily at intermediate & advanced options, including the famous carriage gravel roads in Acadia. Reserve your own lodging—we will recommend a group site. Pay as you go for park entrance fees, meals, & other expenses. We drive close to four hours—we will help with plan to share a car.
Detailed itinerary added 4 September 2019:
Contact the leaders to join group discussion about carpool, routes, meals, & hotel on WhatsApp.
- All distance & elevation information are approximate based on representative maps.
- Leaders reserve the right to change the itinerary for reasons such as weather, road conditions, availability of services, group preference, & other factors.
- We want to be good stewards of the environment. Avoid single use plastic cups, utensils, or straws. Instead, bring thermos https://www.rei.com/product/100104, spork https://www.rei.com/product/660002, & stainless steel straw https://www.rei.com/product/153229.
- Gravel grinders: there will be sections on unpaved roads. Most of them are smooth crushed stone & dirt, while some rare short ones are a bit more rough.
- Bicycle tires: 23mm are not recommended for gravel roads; 25mm are adequate; 28mm–32mm are most suitable.
- Bicycles: road & adventure bicycles are most suitable. Heavy touring, hybrid, mountain, & fat bicycles will slow you down unnecessarily, while you struggle to keep up with the group.
- Friday 27 September at 12:00: parking lot of Hilton Hampton Inn, 90 New County Rd, Thomaston, ME 04861.
- Brunch option ahead of ride at Moody's diner, 1885 Atlantic Hwy Waldoboro, ME 04572.
- Ice cream after ride at Dorman's Dairy Dream across from hotel.
- Dinner options to be discussed with group.
- Both routes have several loops & spurs. Take fewers ones as needed to make it shorter.
- Paved roads, ➡️91km ⬆️1,041m ↗️11.44m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013766
- Paved roads, ➡️59km ⬆️672m ↗️11.39m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30174824
- Saturday 28 September at 10:45: Village Green Visitor Centre, 19 Firefly Ln, Bar Harbor, ME 04609:
- Parking space available nearby. Most likely at cost.
- Breakfast & coffee options at Mount Desert Bakery 122 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, or A Slice of Eden 270 Main St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609.
- We eat dinner in Bar Harbor before driving back to Rockland.
- Paved roads, ➡️77km ⬆️1,327m ↗️17.23m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013778
- Extended gravel sections on carriage roads, ➡️72km ⬆️1,271m ↗️17.65m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013792
- Extended gravel sections on carriage roads, ➡️59km ⬆️1,062m ↗️17.99m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013795
- Sunday 29 September at 10:30: parking space on High & Spring streets https://www.google.com/maps/place/87MFMP3Q%2B46
- Several parking garages available nearby.
- Breakfast & coffee options at Tandem Bakery 742 Congress St, Portland, ME 04102 or Coffee by Design 620 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101.
- Extended gravel trail, ➡️78km ⬆️462m ↗️5.92m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013801
- Paved roads, minimum gravel, ➡️52km ⬆️356m ↗️6.85m/km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31013804
- Registration is required for this activity.
- Contact leaders for meeting times, route maps, & lodging options.
- Participants are responsible for their own lodging, food, & transport. Leaders will recommend lodging with group discount & coordinate group meals. Estimated trip cost is $350 for shared room, meals, & gas.
- Members register for free. Others pay $15 to join the club for one year.