Cranberry Harvest Century: COVID-19 Edition
With the pandemic still going on, our lives not completely back to normal, and group activities still restricted, the Century Committee has decided to organize a solo event for the Cranberry Harvest Century.
To participate, you should complete one of the three rides from our 2019 CHC. The ride should be done solo, with family members, or with one/two socially distanced friends. We are asking each interested member to ride the route of their choosing between September 15th and October 15th. Upon completion, please upload your results on our CHC COVID Edition Rider Results Form to record your participation and accomplishment.
- Parking: DO NOT park at Nichols Middle School. Instead, use Peirce Playground, 26 Jackson St. Middleborough, MA. The best spot is near the softball field and Park Department offices
- Restrooms may be open during daylight hours
- Routes and RWGPS Files
- CHC COVID Edition Rider Results Form (enter after your ride)
- Segment Challenge Sign-up (you must sign up before you ride)
- Charles River Wheelers Facebook Group (post your story and photos)
We also want to encourage everyone to share their photos and the personal experiences of your ride on our Facebook page. We will select four individuals for a $50 prize. The categories are: best photo(s); the most creative, funny or inspiring story; the segment winner; and most ice cream eaten along the route (photos required)! Bonus points for selfies showing off those CRW kits! Please let us all enjoy the fun of your ride and the stories from the road.
A few things to consider:
- As this is an unsupported solo ride, bring adequate water and nutrition, as refueling locations may be sparse.
- While we will do our best to scout routes, please be prepared for unexpected detours from summer construction projects. If you encounter an issue with a route, please let us know!
- Dress appropriately, better yet pick a blue bird day! Do we need to remind you of how the weather can change during Fall in New England?
- Bring a spare tube and necessary tools…UBER bailouts may not be possible!
- Comply with all COVID-19 restrictions.
Remember: When your ride is complete; post your ride to CRW's Facebook page, your RWGPS account or Strava account. Let us know where you posted by registering your ride at CHC COVID Edition Rider Results Form (log in to your CRW account first).
We hope you will have fun on the backroads of these beautiful Fall routes! Be safe, and here is looking forward to in-person centuries in 2021!
Randall Nelson-Peterman is a member of the CRW Century Committee.